11.17.2008

FHE sans the Family

So I hosted a appetizer/dessert soiree on Saturday. I usually do this post the October 15th deadline for three main reasons:

1 - It gives me an excuse to see all of my favorite people since I figure who can turn down free food where you don't have to tip
2 - I get to try all kinds of new recipes
3 - My dad "begs me" to have a social gathering that he can clean for, disappear for, and then reappear to help wash and put away all of the dishes.

Since dad's diagnosis in June 2007, I haven't thrown this biannual event for 1 1/2 years so I was overdue. I sent out invitations about 3 1/2 weeks ago to almost 50 people. I spent hours looking up and visualizing recipes, reading food blogs, and dreaming of all the fun I would have. When I had about 50 recipes I had a moment of lucidity and realized I needed to narrow it down. I carefully chose a mere 20+ appetizers and 10 deserts [don't worry, I didn't exercise any fasting or prayer].

For the past weeks I have made multiple lists and trips to the King of Soopers and spent many hours preparing the delicacies. Mom's freezer got fuller than a tick.

I learned a few things along the way such as:
  • I would rather have my teeth pulled sans Novocaine then work with phyllo dough
  • graham cracker crumbs can and do go rancid
  • Scott Davies is my hero b/c he went for the dessert first [he is still healing from the Obama win]
  • You can beat half and half till you are blue in the face but it will never get to "soft peak" stage
Soooo, needless to say after spending most nights for the last month preparing for "festivus", I was at a loss as to what to do tonight.

I planned to go to Denver to grab an evening with the Notorious B.R.I.G but Carrie informed me that Dave was having his first PPI with his son. I then called mom to see if she wanted to go and get a winter pedicure but she was headed to Broomfield for Tanner's basketball game. So, I decided to go hang with Courtney Davies and my adopted 3 nephews and niece since they are ALWAYS home. I stopped at Dairy Queen and picked up a ice cream cake and showed up. Ethan who is 4 greeted me at the door exlaiming "did you bring your swimming suit"? Seems they were on their way out the door for a family swim. Ethan urged me to drive home and get my suit. My reply was "I live pretty far and it would take too much time". "How many miles?" was Ethan's response.

The bishop lives a couple of houses down from Courtney but the last thing he wants to see on a Monday night is a ward member. What would I do?

Suddenly it came to me, I'll rent a romantic chick flick and lose myself in a romantic haze and go to bed feeling all warm and fuzzy. Back to King Soopers but not for food this time - the poor checkers were totally confused. The blue box informed me that my movie of choice "Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants II" was checked out. Frantically I scanned the new releases and settled on "I am Legend".

Is that a giggle I hear?

For those who have and have not seen this movie, be assured that there is nothing "chick, flick, warm or fuzzy" about it. Coming from a girl who had nightmares after watching Little House on the Prairie, this was not what I expected. And get this, the movie kept freezing up and I would have to restart it and try to find where I had left off.

Now rest assured, I am not trying to solicit pity. I love my life as a Singleton but for those of you who at the end the day think you might strangle your kids or would give anything for a night all alone, remember that there is just something special about having the F to go with the H and the E.

8 comments:

Adam said...

Laura-
I am so sad that I missed the festivus! I am sure it was wonderful and that the food was delicsh. Any good/new recipes to pass along? The whole famdamily is coming to our house for Thanksgiving and I totally have 50 different recipes ready to go....we'll see what makes the cut. Miss you.

Adam said...

Sorry. That comment was from Whit not from Adam....

sara said...

i am legend is pretty much the freakiest movie i've ever seen!!! i can't believe you watched it, all the way through.

this post made me sad because guess who WAS home on saturday night, and would have loved a visit from you? blast that we live so far away.

and i'm sad i missed the festivus too.

carrie said...

That really was THE BEST Festivus ever!!!! Every item was SO GOOD. You totally outdid yourself. I just polished off the last of the desserts last night. I totally burned the roof of my mouth when I was sampling items right out of the oven, but it was worth it!

Wish last night would have worked. Brig misses his Aunt Yah Yah (as do I).

Emily said...

Can i just tell you how bummed i am that we didn't make it? I mean, REALLY bummed! I'm sure everything was incredible.

em said...

First let me say that your party sounded so fun! I know the way you cook and I might have nibbled my forearm a bit at the though... Second let me tell you that I totally loved this post. Mondays are sometimes my loneliest days... I try to work late or stay at the gym and then just fall asleep exhausted. I so wish I had been there to break that DVD in two for you!

Anonymous said...

I can tell you that Yah Yah totally outdid herself with the wonderful delicious over-the-top appetizers, and amazing desserts.

I couldn't believe how much time and effort went into preparing those culinary delights. Yum! Yum!

I also LOVE seeing and visiting with her friends, as I always have.
And we REALLY miss Adam and Whitley in Boulder.

Anonymous said...

I can tell you that Yah Yah totally outdid herself with the wonderful delicious over-the-top appetizers, and amazing desserts.

I couldn't believe how much time and effort went into preparing those culinary delights. Yum! Yum!

I also LOVE seeing and visiting with her friends, as I always have.
And we REALLY miss Adam and Whitley in Boulder.