I'm sure on a blogging spree right now. Can you believe it? 5 posts in 5 days? But enough about me. It is the eve of one of my favorite holidays on earth... the birth of Carrie Sioux Lewis Denham. I'm not even sure how old she is; I could subtract 6 from my age, but then I'd have to know how old I am. Whatever.
Carrie really kicked off an awesome posting tradition on my b-day last year. I'd love to list the 20-odd things I love about Carrie, but it seems so unoriginal. So instead, I am challenging myself to find 10 things I hate about Carrie, in honor of her birth... because I'm pretty sure 10 Things I Hate About You is her all time favorite movie. Or is it Blue Crush? At any rate...
10. I hate that Carrie and Dave came to visit, and these pictures are the only two I took of their whole trip. Why didn't I take more? How great would it be to have photos of us watching Friday Night Lights, or going into the city, or Dave taking my oven apart? But no. Just these two shots of Carrie in her Rockies shirt, right before we went running. It was a great run, by the way.
9. I hate Carrie's metabolism. It's never seemed fair to me that she can eat... and eat... and eat... and still be so FREAKING skinny. Even now, with an almost fully grown infant in her body, only her stomach is fat. Not fair.
8. On the note of genetic inequity, I hate that Carrie is so much taller than me. She claims to be 5'8", which would make her 4 inches taller than my claim of 5'4". Of course we're both rounding up an inch, but the difference is still 4 inches. Again, not fair.
7. I hate that she married Dave. With him around, Travis will never be the favorite son-in-law. Dave just has too many fix it skills, and appreciates food in a way that strokes my mom's ego until she purrs. If she had married Brady, my mom would probably have a bust made of Travis and lay flowers in front of it each day.
6. I hate that she has brown eyes. I want them!! At least my son got a set just as pretty as Carrie's.
5. I hate that she has to visit Dr. Hong. ha ha.
4. I hate that she bought Seven Jeans before I did. Of course she made up for this by giving me my first pair of Sevens almost 6 years ago. I know they are probably horribly out of style now, and my first pair is literally hanging together by a thread (both knees and the crotch are shot), but I can't throw them away.
3. I hate that she's more frugal than I. I want to be the miser in the family! But did I mention I have the best credit that Jim L. has ever seen? That's got to count for something, right? (Do you like how I'm actually making this post all about me?)
2. I hate that she loved Ashes. Well not really, but I'm stretching here and it only seemed fair to take a potshot at Ashes. Oh wait I just thought of a better one. I hate that she gets to go to the mountain house whenever she wants, and I don't.
and the #1 thing I hate about Carrie is:
1. I hate hate HATE that Carrie doesn't live by me. I wish so badly we lived close by, so I could strategically show up when she's made portobello sandwiches for dinner, or babysit her baby, or watch the Bachelorette together. Life would be so great if we could see each other every day.
Well. I don't know if that ended up being as creative as I thought, but you get the message. I LOVE YOU CARRIE!!! I'm so glad you were born. And really, since I raised (reared) you myself, I got to make all my mistakes on you. Which explains why my children are turning out so perfectly.
I hope you have a stellar b-day, where you get to gorge yourself on roasted pineapple and buffalo burgers, with a brownie dough chaser. I also really hope you don't have heartburn tomorrow night. And for Dave's sake, I hope you don't snore tonight.
Thanks for being the best friend a girl could want.
*update: Carrie just sent me an email informing me that in fact, the blockbuster smash hit Center Stage might actually be her favorite movie of all time.