So here, in no particular order, are my favorite memories from Christmas this year.
1. Laura, who not 10 minutes earlier had refused to be cast in the nativity, suddenly had a change of heart and began appearing in different elaborate costumes for EVERY role. This is her in my Grandma's old temple dress, being an angel. The wise guy next to her is Rand.
2. In one of the many costume changes, she came out wearing a wig, a red cape, and was carrying a sequined devil's tail. C leaned over to me and whispered, "How did they change their hair?"
3. When Travis finally arrived, having passed the kidney stones, at about 2 am on Christmas morning. He snuck down to the basement, where we were sleeping, and got a good look at the PJs I was wearing, which were about 2 sizes too small. He said, "Wow! So these are the pajamas? I didn't know they were going to be sexy!" (Don't worry; I ended up with a pair that fit.)
4. As we were all prepping the kids to go down to see what Santa brought, Travis frantically asked if he got pajamas. My mom found them, and he ripped them open and was wearing them in seconds. This was quite a different reaction than the other adult males in the family, who kept the tags on theirs so they could later attempt to return them.
5. Skipping snowboarding in the -35 degree weather, with 70 MPH winds. Best decision I made the whole vacation, probably.
6. Watching all the kids with Uncle Dave in the hot tub. It was clear a game of truth or dare was going on, with all the dares involving sticking various body parts in the snow.
7. Playing Ticket to Ride. I hope someday I'll win that stupid game.
8. Watching Rand teaching my kids to ski. Now that, my friends, is sacrifice.
9. Getting to snowboard with my nephews. And knowing that in one more year, they will all be better than me!
10. Forgetting my laptop in Boulder when we went up to the mountain house. I'm sure I was much more social without it, though I missed it terribly!
11. Watching my mom and dad with baby Oz.
12. Watching Oz play with his much more agile cousin (she has a lot less weight to haul around!).
13. The pool tournament I tried to lose.
Of course there were many more wonderful moments, all which made the 4 hour wrestling match I had with Oz on the way out AND back worth every minute.