Happy Birthday Carrie!
28 short years ago, my life forever changed when Carrie Sue Lewis Denham was brought home from the hospital in a pink tie-dyed outfit with a hippo on it. She was the cutest baby I'd ever seen... at least until my own babies were born.
I practically raised her (REARED her, in case my mom reads this post) by myself. Or so I like to claim. Since I was 5 and 3/4, I probably didn't actually do all that much, but I like to think I had something to do with the shaping and molding of Carrie's fine personality.
And so, in honor of Carrie's birthday, a few highlights from our life together:
1. The many, many times we played Barbies together (after which Carrie was routinely threatened that if she told any of my friends, I would beat her up).
2. Catching Carrie lying about brushing her teeth... and cheating at Uno... and framing me by coloring on her own doll. This list is endless. Let's just say it's a miracle she turned into an honest woman.
3. Having Carrie be the center of attention at most of my birthday parties.
4. Dressing Carrie up in "fashionable" outfits and taking photos of her, while pretending I was a fashion photographer.
5. Mentoring Carrie as I painted a table for Laura's apartment (I liked to constantly remind her that I was the master and she was the lowly apprentice).
6. Making jokes at the Samsonite outlet while a very non-amused saleslady tried to help our mom purchase a new suitcase.
7. Listening to her crazy stories about working at the cemetary, while wondering how sunburned her face could get before it exploded.
8. Taking her TPing with my friends in high school.
9. Cheering her on at all her sporting events... as loudly and obnoxiously as possible.
and my all time favorite Carrie memory:
10. The time we decided to snowboard down the hill behind our parents' house. This one warrants a post all its own, which I may or may not get around to doing this week.
Happy Birthday Carrie! I love you so much, and promise to forever lead you in fashion till the day I die.