I have a client who lives in the UK. He is an only child, in his early 30's and EXTREMELY wealthy [not b/c of anything he has done]. He is a notorious procrastinator which this year meant getting me his final information late Friday [I've been hounding him for it since August], finishing the return and giving it to the partner who took it home to review Saturday, she dropped it at the office Saturday night and I came in Sunday after church to make the changes and email to him to sign and postmark by 5pm UK time. Disaster averted until Monday at 4pm US time I get a call from said client:
Client: "It's 10pm UK time, I am walking the streets of London, it is cold and I can't find anyone who can postmark this tax return today. What if I send it tomorrow?"
Me: "Hmmm, looks like an $11,000 late filing penalty"
Client: "Can I fax you the signature pages and you mail the tax returns from there?"
Me: "Sure except wait, our fax machine is down"
Client: "You have got to be kidding me. You have no idea how many hoops I have jumped through today for these returns. This can't even be a coincidence.:
Me: "Can you scan and email me the signature pages?"
Client: "Okay I'll go to my office and do that:
This got me thinking about other joys of my job. Below are just a few subject lines of inter office emails:
- NO MORE PRINTING TO THE 700!!!!
- PLEASE DON'T PRINT TO THE 550 FOR NOW IT'S BEING MOVED
- OKAY TO PRINT TO THE 550 NOW!
- Gift Basket goodies in the kitchen!! yum yum!
- We just found out that the front elevator will be down all day for a part replacement.
- AGGHH Clients are instructed to call us and we'll come down to get them.
- FIRE ALARM INSPECTION TODAY
- elevator is now working.....
- FAX MACHINE IS DOWN
- fax is working (maybe) now....
- PLEASE DON'T PRINT TO THE XEROX- WORKROOM
- okay to print to the Xerox- WORKROOM !!! THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S PATIENCE
- PLEASE DON'T PRINT TO THE 550 FOR NOW, IT'S BEING MOVED
- There is a client just relaxing in the lobby area, I think he may be a while :) Just a little heads up to everyone to behave!
- The client has left, everyone- you can be normal again
- Heat in the office…apparently there was a pump in the heating system that went out and they should have it fixed by later today! Hooray!
- Well, the exact time is up in the air, but I was told around mid afternoon?? Hopefully that means earlier than 5…
- Don't use the toilets!!! Water has been turned off in entire building!
- Toilets are working!!!!!!!!!!
- Did anyone request an automatic call back from "Log Me In" this morning???
- Barack Obama's Comprehensive Tax Plan attached
- Unexplained visitors on our decks
- Anyone have two AA batteries?