I was supposed to return to work on Friday, 10/10. Did I? No. Do you encourage ripping this sweet child from my loving arms?
I didn't think so.
Here is how things went down:
10/2 - I get a voice message from my boss. She sounds somber and wants to talk about my job. I'm sure she is going to lay me off. I strategize with Dave - what approach should I take? How might I extend my end date and maximize my severance package?
10/3 - I call my boss back and decide to go with the direct route. I ask "Is there still a job for me?" She shocks me by saying, "Definitely. In fact, I'm taking a new job. So we want you to do not only your old job, but my job too!" I explain I had hoped I could come back part time. It is clear that is not an option. After a few long pauses I make a decision. I agree to return on the 10th, and to pick up both jobs.
10/4 - I have a panic attack. I can't go back to work yet! What about little Brig!!!
10/5 - I email my boss and tell her I need to take my 4 weeks unpaid, my legal "newborn bonding time." Then I will return to work. Then I will take her job.
10/6 morning - I get a voicemail and email from my boss letting me know that won't work. If I don't come back on the 10th, neither job will be waiting for me. I will get laid off.
10/6 night - I have lots of intense, stressful, conversations with Dave. What to do?
10/7 morning - I call my boss and let her know this is a risk I'm willing to take. I really feel like I need 4 more weeks of dedicated Brig time. Maybe getting laid off wouldn't be such a bad thing. It would make a tough decision for me.
10/7 day - no word
10/7 night - no word
10/8 morning - my old boss calls me. "Do you realize if you don't come back on the 10th you will get laid off?" I say "That's what was implied..." She says "OK, I just wanted you to realize the implication of this choice." Ugh. What did I do? What was I thinking? I want my job back!
10/8 afternoon - I get a call from my current boss. They changed their minds. They have decided to keep both jobs open for me - as long as I promise to come back on November 7th. Does anyone else feel like this is a high stakes game of poker?
10/9 - the market drops yet another seven percent. There goes our savings. I'm feeling really lucky to have not one, but two jobs waiting for me.
10/13 - the market begins to rebound. Two jobs? Really? One isn't good enough?
Welcome to the roller coaster that is my life.